$42.50 – $240.00
A Popular Natural Resource
There is a growing interest in kapok as an eco-friendly and sustainable alternative to synthetic materials. I
t is biodegradable, renewable, and does not require extensive processing or chemical treatments. As a result, kapok is considered a more environmentally friendly option compared to materials like polyester or foam.
We love it because it is non-toxic, hypoallergenic and environmentally friendly.
We are grateful for this Kapok Fiber, and are pleased to use it in our products.
We have completely eliminated cotton batting from our pillows and cushions and replaced it with kapok. Since we live in the south we noticed cotton batting has a tendency to mold from simple humidity in the air. Cotton is also one of the most chemically laden crops, 25% of all pesticides used in the world are on the cotton crop alone. Kapok has been used for centuries as stuffing material for sleeping and sitting mats and mattresses. Since the advent of synthetic fibers, kapok has virtually been eliminated as a mattress stuffing material.
- Kapok is a natural fiber obtained from the seed pods of the kapok tree (Ceiba pentandra), also known as the silk cotton tree. The kapok tree is native to tropical regions, particularly in Central and South America, Africa, and Southeast Asia.
- As one of the few sustainable rainforest crops, kapok grows without herbicides and pesticides (and since it is not bothered by pests), making it naturally organic.
- Kapok also enhances the soil and ecosystem where it grows. Kapok seed pods, when mature, split open and release the seeds along with the fluffy kapok fibers. The fibers act as a natural parachute, allowing the seeds to be dispersed by wind over long distances. This mechanism enables the kapok tree to colonize new areas and promotes genetic diversity.
- The fibers are known for their strength and resilience. When used as filling in products like pillows, cushions, or futons, kapok can withstand regular use and retain its shape and loftiness over time. Its durability allows products to maintain their functionality and appearance for a longer period, delaying the need for replacement.
- Have excellent compression resistance, a characteristic that allows kapok-filled products retain their comfort and support even with frequent use. As a result, these products can remain usable and provide comfort for an extended period.
- Contain natural compounds that make it unattractive to pests like dust mites, mold, and mildew. This resistance helps prevent the buildup of allergens, odors, and deteriorating conditions that can lead to the premature degradation of products. By delaying the growth of pests and microorganisms, kapok can contribute to the longevity of our products.
- Are a renewable resource that can be harvested without harming the kapok tree or the environment. Its use in products promotes sustainability by reducing reliance on non-renewable resources. By choosing products filled with kapok, consumers can contribute to a circular economy and prolong the life of their items while minimizing their environmental impact.
1 lbs, 5 lbs, 10 lbs, 15 lbs, 20 lbs, 40 lbs